Thursday, September 17, 2015

City Color Cosmetics Swatches and 3 FOTDS!


City Color Cosmetics sent me some stuff to try! They didn't pay me, they didn't make me promise to say anything specific or only give a good review. In fact, I'm surprised they still like me after my first mini-review on instagram*. Read on for details on that, plus swatches and my thoughts on their Shimmer Shadows! And yes, there's a discount code. (It's "coffeepls".)
Let's just start with the TL;DR: Yes, you should buy these, if you like beautiful metallic lid colors! They're not great to apply with a fluffy brush but it can be done. They have a couple color names that mildly offend me but I can chill*.

Use code "coffeepls" at checkout for 10% off these! They're already only $6.99, so I mean hey. Nice price for how much you're getting, and I seriously loooove the formula.

Ok, so first, all the swatches. I'm not a pro beauty blogger guys, so these aren't pro lighted or anything. In fact, swatch photos are harder than I thought. I didn't wait long enough for the primer to set, so some of the swatches look janky. The shadows have performed nothing but beautifully on my lids though!

Swatched on bare skin on left, primer on right, color by color, respectively. Confused enough?

Black Widow (left) and Oh So Naughty (right):

City Color Shimmer Shadows in Black Widow and Oh So Naughty

All Eyes On Me (left) and Spring Fling (right):

City Color Shimmer Shadows in All Eyes on me (left) and Spring Fling (right)

Marsala (left) and Homecoming Queen (right):

City Color Shimmer Shadows in Marsala (right) and Homecoming Queen (left)

Cheers to Life (left) and Pharaoh (right):

City Color Shimmer Shadows in Cheers to Life (left) and Pharaoh (right)
See how the gold almost looks WORSE on the primer? Yeah, that's not how it is in real life. These shadows are great.


Beach Cottage (left) and Hint of Mint (right):




It's a Boy!* (left) and Breezy (right): 

City Color Shimmer Shadows in It's a Boy! (left) and Breezy (right)


 *Ok, let's just start with this one. This is the part where I'm surprised City Color wasn't super mad at me.

Here's the FOTD I did using the beautiful cobalt blue:

FOTD using City Color Shimmer Shadow in It's a Boy! 


I did this look, I was soooo pleased with it, then I looked at the color name so I could post it on instagram, and it was called "It's a Boy!"

I think that's ridiculous. Blue = boys and pink = girls is such a stupid, archaic idea at this point, and frankly I can't believe a modern makeup company would name colors based on that. Now, let me be clear, I know that City Color was not intending to be small-minded or to offend anyone. But at what point does "we didn't mean it that way" not a good enough reason to perpetuate silly, outdated gender profiling/marketing?

I understand that some may think I'm taking this way too seriously, but let me assure you, there aren't a lot of thing I take seriously when it comes to make up. However, things that contribute to pigeonholing children into stereotypes is something I do take seriously, and I will be transparent as far as my thoughts on these kinds of topics. Being honest with my followers (few they may be) is really important to me.

That said, I talked to my contact at the company, and we're cool! While they didn't share this look on their instagram (which I didn't expect them to do anyway), they didn't revoke their support of me and still hoped I enjoyed trying the products, which I have.One name (well, two... there a pink called "It's a Girl") won't stop me from recommending shadows that I have genuinely enjoyed. So yes, I recommend these!

Here are two other looks I did using Cheers to Life, with which I'm a little obsessed:

FOTD using City Color Shimmer Shadow in Cheers to Life

FOTD using City Color Shimmer Shadow in Cheers to Life

FOTD using City Color Shimmer Shadow in Cheers to Life

FOTD using City Color Shimmer Shadow in Cheers to Life
Full Review/Thoughts

I really like these! I love using them as a super shimmery/metallic lid color with matte shadows in the crease. I found they didn't blend as well as I wanted them to with a Mac 217, and it does require some finesse. It can be done, but it's not the easiest ever. But I also don't love a super shimmery crease, so it works great for me! The staying power is also great, no complaints there. Overall, I do recommend them!

You can use "coffeepls" at checkout for 10% off your purchase!

Here are the rest of the products I used in each FOTD:

Blue FOTD:

FACE

  • Maybelline FitMe foundation in the lightest shade, MIXED WITH
  • Mac Face and Body in White, MIXED WITH
  • Boots No.7 Radiance Balm (also used over top as cheekbone highlight)
  • Darling Girl Cosmetics blush in Portal of Faces (you need this)
  • Nyx Taupe blush
EYES
  • City Color Shimmer Shadow in It's a Boy!
  • Sleek Makeup Matte Darks palette, navy blue
  • Naked 3 (the two matte mauves, Limit and Nooner)
  • Anastasia Dipbrow in Chocolate
  • Red Cherry Lashes in #510
LIPS
  • Nyx SLim Lip Pencil in 810 Natural
  • Nyx Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee 
Gold and Purple FOTD

FACE

  • Maybelline FitMe foundation in the lightest shade, MIXED WITH
  • Mac Face and Body in White, MIXED WITH
  • Boots No.7 Radiance Balm
  • Benefit Hoola Bronzer 
  • Nyx Taupe blush 
EYES
  • City Color Shimmer Shadow in Cheers to Life
  • Sleek Makeup Matte Darks palette (dark purple)
  • Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear
  • Anastasia Dipbrown in Chocolate
  • Red Cherry Lashes in #747M
LIPS
  • Nyx Slim Lip Pencil in 810 Natural
  • Nyx Butter Lipstick in Snowcap
Gritty Messy Brown and Gold Thing

Face
  • Maybelline FitMe foundation in the lightest shade, MIXED WITH
  • Mac Face and Body in C1, MIXED WITH
  • Boots No.7 Radiance Balm 
  • Benefit Hoola bronzer, used generously
  • Mary Loumanizer, every fucking where
EYES
  • Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear
  • Sonia Kashuk Matte Palette (some browns/taupes)
  • Some dark brown shadow in my Z palette probably from Nude'Tude
  • City Color Shimmer Shadow in Cheers to Life
  • Makeup Geek Gel Liner in Immortal
  • Anastasia Dipbrow is Chocolate
  • Red Cherry Lashes #510
LIPS
  • Nyx Slim Lip Pencil in 810 Natural (go figure)
  • Mac Myth

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous per usual! Hint of Mint is such a pretty color and man, you rock that blue so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loove these looks so freasking much. Could you do a tutorial on the blue look?? I would seriously love it and recreate it. I need to buy that blue though. However I COMPLETELY agree with and admire your stance on the gendered names. Unnecessary in 2015 to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. I'm jonesing for Marsala (burgundy) and Spring Fling (light purple).

    ReplyDelete